Scratched Plastic test
I’m creating a slightly distressed plastic material for architectural and product design renders. By adding a little bit of “structure” to the material I am able to create more realistic and engaging renders. The level of distress can be easily adjusted by changing the brightness and gamma of the specular scratch bitmap. I can also plug that bitmap into the bump map channel to give the scratches more depth. This image was created with 3ds Max and Corona 2.0.
Here is the finished render complete with massing and foliage. I added some post work with Photoshop. These renderings were created with Corona Renderer and edited in Photoshop.
I applied thin (that is refraction and caustic free) glass to the windows, and applied some concrete and metal textures to the model. So far the lighting is working out as planned. I even built separate tubes as fluorescent bulbs and placed them in the light housings. This has a subtle effect on their reflections in the windows to add a bit more realism.
Commercial building project
I am working on a render of a Revit model provided to me by a colleague. This is a clay render just to get a basic idea for lighting parameters, and to detect any mesh errors. This model is very well built and organized, and I am looking forward to applying the materials.
Lighting and materials exercise
This is a lighting and materials exercise I completed. It is based on a gorgeous render by one of my favorite arch viz artists, Jakub Cech. I learned a lot from this experience. From noise maps to SSS (Sub Surface Scattering). This is also the first interior I created without perfectly flat walls. There is subtle displacement to give it more of a "hand plastered lived in look". Lighting is a simple bright-overcast HDRI. Software used: 3DS Max, Corona Renderer, and Photoshop.